Per Board policy, homework is assigned by classroom teachers to reinforce or practice applications of a skill which has been learned or is in the process of being learned. These homework assignments are to be completed beyond the classroom instructional day. Outlined below are some suggestions to help parents and students complete homework regularly.
Although the district recognizes that quality is more important than quantity, the following guidelines related to time are suggested:
Grades 1-3: 10-30 minutes up to 4 days per week
Grades 4-5: 30-60 minutes up to 4 days per week
Homework assignments are to reflect the same high standards of legibility, neatness, content, and completeness as expected in the classroom.
- Establish a daily homework routine.
- Provide a place where your child can work productively.
- Assist in the acquisition of basic resources; contact your child’s teacher if help is needed in obtaining materials.
- Regularly review homework to see that it is neat and complete.
- Maintain regular communication with the teacher.
- Encourage and support your child.
- Listen to directions and ensure that assignments are understood before leaving school.
- Take home all materials available from school, which are needed to complete assignments.
- Take proper care of school books and equipment and return them in good condition.
- Complete all assignments according to school standards and turn them in on time.
- Make up work missed due to excused absences from school, including suspensions.
- Communicate any specific problems with teacher or parent.
- Communicate clear directions to students in order to accomplish the task.
- Collect and record homework on a daily/weekly basis.
- Communicate with parents when homework is not turned in.